1. An annual conference of the Indian Society of Hospital Waste Management is a regular feature. A large number of scientific papers are presented during the conference either as oral or poster presentation. Most of the papers are contributed by the members of the society. Papers presented during the last conference were of high scientific content.
2. In order to grant incentive and encourage participants it is proposed to select best two papers each in the category of oral and poster presentation starting from next annual conference onwards. Selected delegates will be entitled to 25 % discount in the delegate’s fees during the next annual conference. A selection committee for the next two annual conferences- 2008 and 2009, comprising of the following is proposed to be constituted to select best two papers in these categories.
||Surg Cdr (Dr)
||Wg Cdr Ashutosh
4. Eligibility: -
All registered delegates (members and non- members of ISHWM)
will qualify towards being considered for selection.
Chairpersons and members of the Governing Council, ISHWM, and
of the Selection Committee will not qualify for consideration.
5. Guidelines for
the Selection Committee:
The selection committee will take all presentations made by
willing participants to enter the selection procedure in each
category into consideration.
It will be ensured that eligibility criteria is fulfilled.
It will be ensured that recipients are registered delegates
and are present during the award ceremony to receive the
awards personally. Awards will be made during valedictory
function, but announced any time earlier during the
The Selection Committee will be guided by criteria mentioned
Papers should be on topical issues, and research oriented.
- Oral presentation should
be within the time allotted.
- All papers under
consideration should follow the format- introduction,
methodology, findings, discussion, and conclusion/
recommendations, take home message.
- Slides and posters should
be concise and to the point.
- In case the paper has more
than two authors- first and other authors, at least two
should be registered delegates for the conference.
- Posters should preferably
be on glossy paper.
- Posters should not have
more than 8 panels.
- Poster should highlight a
problem and present scenario, and offer solutions.
- Preferably only four
colours- black, blue, red and green should be used while
designing a poster. Posters should be on white background.
- In case of a tie final
selection will be made by the chairperson ISHWM.
- Papers/ posters selected
will be rated in scale of 1-10.
- In case a paper/ poster
from a student delegate is in the selection range an
incentive award of 1 mark will be made for such a
- Each participant willing
to be considered for selection will render copyright
certificate in favour of ISHWM
delegates will not qualify for selection.
7. The oragnisers
will provide required space and facilities to the delegates.
8. ISHWM will have
copyright on selected papers/ posters, and a certificate will
accompany all such papers as may be entered in the selection
procedure by the sole/ first author.
9. Format of
registration from next annual conference onwards will include a
certificate that the delegate is interested to be considered for
selection and a certificate to abjure copyright in favour of ISHWM.
monetary incentives (to be met from the accounts of ISHWM) will be
Healthcare waste management in India still is in infancy. Much work
is required in this area. Many systems still requires to be tested,
and many healthcare facilities still lack scientific system in
place. There are many issues requiring further research, such as
incidence of needle- stick injuries, awareness programmes, case
reporting, management of liquid waste, including mercury waste, and
safety measures. It is hoped that the incentive offered will
galvanise healthcare facilities in more research in these areas.
Lalji k Verma,
President ISHWM, October 7, 2007